About Todd Salat - The AuroraHunter
Todd Salat was born an Iowa country boy, making his way to the mountains as often as possible. He received a Bachelor of Science degree in geology at the University of South Dakota in 1986 and a Masters in geology from the University of Wyoming in 1989. With that, he scored a job as an exploration geologist and made that big right-hand turn to Alaska.
As a geologist, he enjoyed exploring and unraveling the earth history of the Brooks Range of Alaska and the Andes of Venezuela. However, the seven-year-itch came upon him and he resigned from his corporate day job. The first dream he chased was a year-long walkabout in the "Land Down Under," Australia & New Zealand
Todd returned to Alaska in 1997 to follow through on his dream of becoming a full-time freelance photographer. The next big chapter in life began with a blind date, and in 2001 he married the love-of-his-life, Shay.
They reside in Anchorage and enjoy a cabin retreat in Hatcher Pass. With a heated camper on their truck, they eagerly follow their mission statement:
Be There ~ Preserve the Moment ~ Share It!
Todd on the Web:
- FRONTIERS with Rhonda McBride - KTVA Channel 11 interview
- Spaceweather.com 4.30.16 cover
- Spaceweather.com 9.20.15 cover
- AtlasObscura.com 2015 article
- I Am The Aurora Hunter - Indie Alaska, KAKM
- APOD~Astronomy Picture of the Day
- "Chasing the Elusive Northern Lights" interview on KSKA/APRN
- "Aurora Viewing" Outdoor Explorer on KSKA/APRN
- "Conheça o caçador de auroras boreais " (Meet the Aurora Hunter) - National Geographic Brazil.
- "Hopes dim for aurora borealis display this year" - KTUU Channel 2 News, Anchorage, AK